blaster building with EVA foam
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Blaster Builders Club -> Blaster Building

#1: No icon blaster building with EVA foam Author: Rothgar68 PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:47 am
    —
I'm curious if anyone has built anything with EVA foam yet. I've been doing research on prop and costume construction using the foam floor tiles and I ran across a few incredible looking weapon props.

I'm considering giving it a try after I finish up some other projects.

#2: No icon Re: blaster building with EVA foam Author: Rothgar68 PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:51 am
    —
I started making a Rebel Pilot Helmet out of EVA foam, as a test project. I'll start up a thread in the appropriate forum once I have a few more pics.

#3: No icon Re: blaster building with EVA foam Author: Rothgar68 PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:14 am
    —
I started building an E-11. The plan is to use EVA foam for as much of the detail as possible. I considered trying to make the body out of EVA, but it probably wouldn't come out very straight. It's an experiment for another time.

So.. Body out of thin wall 1 1/4" PVC

Grip using various layers and thicknesses of EVA foam. I plan on spraying plastidip on the foam parts before gluing to the body.

#4: No icon Re: blaster building with EVA foam Author: trooper96Location: Ninety Six, SC PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:00 am
    —
Looks good so far.

#5: No icon Re: blaster building with EVA foam Author: thedap PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:30 pm
    —
I've used pink celotex house insulating foam board to make an E-11 and as you did, the body is a thin wall tube. the gun I made I layered with latex paint to get a harder skin to it but since then I have made most of my foam stuff with a skin of aluminum duct tape. the tape makes it a lot stronger and gives a surface that can be easily primed and painted without eating into the foam.

the foam is easy to carve and sand to shape and can also be layered if needed. best way to sand it is with a worn out sanding sponge block. a new block tends to shred and tear the foam instead of just sanding it. the duct tape can be textured if needed and multiple layers just make it stronger.

for the grip panel texture, I just dusted the gloss black paint with a bit of flat black through a piece of screen to make the diamond pattern.

you could probably press in the pattern to make it more 3d

#6: No icon Re: blaster building with EVA foam Author: Rothgar68 PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:54 am
    —
Since I was stuck in the house due to all the snow, I started a second attempt at an all EVA foam blaster.

I've had the chance to work with EVA for a while, and gotten more comfortable working with it.

Here are some pics of the parts so far.

The tube came out at 1.5" diameter, mostly due to the thickness of the foam, but it's close enough for a first try.

#7: No icon Re: blaster building with EVA foam Author: NastyNoah PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:37 pm
    —
Looking good.

#8: No icon Re: blaster building with EVA foam Author: whtknghtLocation: Willamette Valley, Oregon PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:50 am
    —
Good job.  Where do you get the different thickness EVA foam?

#9: No icon Re: blaster building with EVA foam Author: Rothgar68 PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:09 am
    —
I use foam floor tiles from Harbor freight, and 2mm and 5mm craft foam from Michael's/Joann's.

Blaster Builders Club -> Blaster Building

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 7 Hours

Page 1 of 1