DFG
DFG  

DFG
DFG DFG DFG

DFG
Shout Box   
DFG
DFG  

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.
DFG
DFG DFG DFG

DFG
Event Calendar
DFG
DFG  
March 2017
  1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  
No events today.
DFG
DFG DFG DFG

DFG
Survey   
DFG
DFG  
What do you think about this site?

Ummmm, not bad
Cool
Terrific
The best one!

Results
Polls

Votes 10
Comments: 0
DFG
DFG DFG DFG

DFG
Hackers Beware   
DFG
DFG  
You have been warned!
We have caught 51 shameful hackers.

NukeSentinel(tm)
DFG
DFG DFG DFG

DFG DFG DFG
DFG Blaster Builders Club :: View topic - Rebel Trooper Blaster

Search for at
Blaster Builders Club Advanced Search

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
 blaster building with EVA foam Blaster Building Rothgar68 8 Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:09 am
Rothgar68 View latest post
 Anovos TK Armor Build Models & Armor Rothgar68 13 Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:07 am
 Original designs. Off-Topic Discussion Davemcd 0 Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:30 pm
Davemcd View latest post
 Rebel pilot helmet from EVA foam. Models & Armor Rothgar68 4 Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:16 am
 1st time blaster build Blaster Building ML-1123 1 Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:00 am
 Intro Off-Topic Discussion pauliemcg 1 Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:30 am
Rebel Trooper Blaster
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   Thank Post    Blaster Builders Club Forum Index -> Blaster Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rothgar68

Crewman
Crewman

blank.png

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:28 am Post subject: No icon Rebel Trooper Blaster Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm starting to build an RTB. I've gathered up some materials and cut out some templates.

I still need a cone for the muzzle and I'm not all that thrilled with the gigantic end cap for the butt.

I'll post pics once I actually start cutting and gluing.

Cheers,

Rothgar
Rothgar68

Crewman
Crewman

blank.png

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:58 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Rebel Trooper Blaster Reply with quote

Here are some pics. I found another tutorial on building a blaster that uses a 6" tapered chair/couch leg for the muzzle. I picked one up today and it appears to be s possibility. The templates for the grip are a bit confusing. I cut out the circle and the serial number rectangle on the right side and it doesn't appear necessary except for detail. I'm also wondering if anyone has a template for the magazine port on the left side of the body. I also found that the grey PVC end caps are smaller and look better, but still need to be sanded flat. I'm going to see if there is a copper end cap that will fit.

Rothgar68

Crewman
Crewman

blank.png

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:13 am Post subject: No icon Re: Rebel Trooper Blaster Reply with quote

I created a new template for the right side of the blaster grip.

This new template will cover the wood for the 2 cut-outs on the grip layer.

Rothgar68

Crewman
Crewman

blank.png

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:41 am Post subject: No icon Re: Rebel Trooper Blaster Reply with quote

I'm moving very slow on this project. I'd prefer to think things through before cutting or gluing.

I have been doing some cutting and gluing lately.

I have started gluing the styrene layers onto the grip core. I also cut out the mag port and pre-drilled for attaching the grip to the body. I glued the rest of the grip layers together last night, and I'll post pics when the adhesive has cured.

Rothgar68

Crewman
Crewman

blank.png

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:10 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Rebel Trooper Blaster Reply with quote

Sanding. Lots of sanding and filling. The grip is coming along nicely though. Some more sanding and filling and I'll be ready to prime and sand some more.

Here's a little experiment I tried. I took epoxy putty, rolled it out onto a piece of scrap styrene and then placed some storm screen net over it and pressed it in.
I'm not sure if I'll try it this time, but it does seem to look ok for grip texture.

Rothgar68

Crewman
Crewman

blank.png

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:33 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Rebel Trooper Blaster Reply with quote

I started working on the muzzle of the blaster. I'm using a 5.5" tapered leg that I picked up at Lowes. I saw this used in another blaster build.
I pulled off the end so I could fit it under the Dremel and slowly turned it to get a nice even cut. I drilled out a hole for the barrel.
I'm using a 3/4" hardwood craft block to secure the muzzle to a piece of 1" pvc, which will also have aluminum tape to show the bolt internals at the 2 ports on the body.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-u7ZY0M2AEpQ/Uqp-oTvW5GI/AAAAAAAABLA/Qo4f21Ma2Ic/s320/20131212_181324.jpg
Rothgar68

Crewman
Crewman

blank.png

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:34 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Rebel Trooper Blaster Reply with quote

Rothgar68

Crewman
Crewman

blank.png

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:55 am Post subject: No icon Re: Rebel Trooper Blaster Reply with quote

Here are some pics showing how I'll attach the muzzle to the body. The craft block fits perfect inside the 1" pvc.

I'll glue or use a flush screw to hold the muzzle to the 1" pvc, then I'll slide the whole thing into the body for the bolt internals.

Here's a pic of the grip with another sanding and the selector switch added. Priming and sanding are still needed to fill any last little gaps.

Rothgar68

Crewman
Crewman

blank.png

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:22 am Post subject: No icon Re: Rebel Trooper Blaster Reply with quote

I got a bunch more done over the weekend, although I haven't taken pics of everything yet. I'm getting down to the little details, which seem to take twice as long to do.

I decided to separate the front of the blaster from the body. this is mainly due to having to paint them different colors. I also finished the bulk of the sight rail, so I guess I have to start working on the scope.

Rothgar68

Crewman
Crewman

blank.png

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:56 am Post subject: No icon Re: Rebel Trooper Blaster Reply with quote

Disaster nearly struck! I was attaching the grip to the body and had some serious issues.

1. Liquid Nails multipurpose adhesive does not work well with styrene, even if you sand the styrene. I had the outer layers of the grip start to peel away from the core when I started to tighten the screws.

2. Do not use High Density Fiberboard for the grip core. Even though I drilled pilot holes for the screws, the hdf still started to split along the center-line of the grip.

I used CA glue to hold the styrene in place, and mixed up some epoxy to glue the grip to the body, in addition to the screws.

I clamped the grip where I could to keep it from splitting while the epoxy cured. It seems to have done the trick.

I also started working on the scope. I have some syringe covers that a gaming friend gave to me for terrain bitz, and it seems to work really well. Store-bought scope rings are 1" ID, so I had to build up the  body a bit for the rings to hold it securely. I considered going to the hardware store to get the copper fittings or pvc pipe to make the scope, but I'm keeping the budget as low as possible. I added a 1" wooden ball and filed an additional side flat so I could add washers as adjustment screws.

I started building up layers of tape on the 1" pvc core to get as snug a fit as possible. I'll add the scope ring mount to the sight rail and start filling gaps where the grip and rail meet the body, then it's priming time.

Rothgar68

Crewman
Crewman

blank.png

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:04 am Post subject: No icon Re: Rebel Trooper Blaster Reply with quote

Added the sight rail and put on the endcap. There are still a bunch of little details that I'd like to add before I prime.

Rothgar68

Crewman
Crewman

blank.png

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:36 am Post subject: No icon Re: Rebel Trooper Blaster Reply with quote

Lots of priming and sanding at this point. Not really a whole lot to see, other than the blaster is now a uniform grey.
trooper96

Chief
Chief

usa.png

votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:02 am Post subject: No icon Re: Rebel Trooper Blaster Reply with quote

Hey Rothgar68,
This guy built a blaster like yours with LED's, a laser, and sound. Thought you might find it interesting.

Click HERE - Instructables: Make An LED Blaster
Rothgar68

Crewman
Crewman

blank.png

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:00 am Post subject: No icon Re: Rebel Trooper Blaster Reply with quote

Cool! Thanks!
Rothgar68

Crewman
Crewman

blank.png

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:23 am Post subject: No icon Re: Rebel Trooper Blaster Reply with quote

I've gotten the color coats on the various pieces. I'm not sure if I like the satin finish for the black.
Just need to do a clear gloss coat on the silver and it's ready for assembly.

Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   Thank Post Blaster Builders Club Forum Index ->  Blaster Building All times are UTC - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: